Sunday, May 18, 2014

Good Will Hunting Blog

I was excited to see Good Will Hunting on this week’s movie list. I have seen this movie twice before and was very happy to watch the movie again. I believe the actual movie title was mentioned in chapter 3 of the text book The Art of watching films. The text references the title of the movie naming the theme of the movie, in which the text says seldom happens.
The movie followed a linear or chronological structure. The film was laid out in a classic chronological order. The main characters was named, we discovered his problems and what he needed to overcome, finally the movie ended happily ever after. Good Will Hunting followed the “Internal Truths of Human Nature: The way things are supposed to be” as stated in the text. I found myself constantly pulling for the main character Will.
I especially liked the way the film made me think and exercise my mind. Will is a very intellectual character with a very rough upbringing. He has a group of amazing rough and tumble friends as well as an association with highly educated people from MIT. I found myself constantly putting myself in Will’s shoes, I found myself feeling sympathetic for him. I want to say the film definitely used internal action.
As I read the text I got caught up on symbolism. I think the boat painting in Robin William’s office was a symbol of some sort; unfortunately I was unable to put my finger on exactly what it was. I want to believe that Robin William’s late wife painted it for him. I felt somewhat angry when Will was degrading the character of the photo during their first meeting.

Good Will Hunting is an amazing movie; I would give this film a strong recommendation with the forewarning of the use of profanity. I do believe that the film needed this profanity in order to get a true depiction of the characters across.

No comments:

Post a Comment